Dogs are indeed “man’s best friend”. Unfortunately, dogs do not live as long as humans do. All we can do is take care of them so that they could live happier and a little longer.
As your dog ages, you should be aware that they need a lot more attention. Having knowledge in senior dog health care will help you to have a better understanding of your dog’s needs.
Most adult dogs develop problems that has something to do with their lifestyle and of course diet.
Age-related problems usually occur when your dog reached the age of seven. Symptoms are becoming visible and larger dogs are more prone to have these age-related problems. Like humans, old dogs are also suffering from problems in bones, joints and organ malfunctions such as liver and kidney problems. Their sensing organs are becoming weaker eyes, ears and nose. Dental problems are also visible as their teeth and gums start to rot. The metabolism becomes slower. The skin and coat also looses their gloss and beauty.
Unlike younger dogs, taking care of senior dogs may become very tedious. Aging also weakens dog’s recovering powers so when they get ill, it takes longer time for him to recuperate. Using natural homeopathic treatments are more effective than using conventional antibiotic medicine.
Natural remedies can be very helpful in treating your dog’s health problems including arthritis, frail eyesight, weakened lungs, heart, liver, kidney, etc. Also, senior dogs are more vulnerable to infectious diseases because their immune system have also weakened. Once your dog has been infected, it may lead to serious problems that will cause your dog’s death.
Herbal medicine can help your dog’s immune system. Proper and continuous administration of these medicines will help protect your do from diseases and other forms of health problems.
Herbal medicine that you may administer to your dogs are:
- Aloe Vera. This plant contains anti-bacterial characteristics that has been proven effective in curing cuts and wounds. To administer aloe vera, cut its leaf and apply its jelly towards the cut or wound.
- Burdock is effective treating arthritis. It can also help cure kidney and liver problems. Burdock is also known to be an effective ingredient in detoxification of blood. Add Burdock to your dog’s food. It will flush out impurities from your dog’s body. Burdock is also effective in curing skin diseases like eczema.
- Calendula. If your dog is suffering from skin diseases, use Calendula. Studies have proven that Calendula is effective in treating skin problems and irritation.
- Garlic has many health benefits including enhancing liver functions, reduce high blood pressure, eliminating toxins and impurities out from our body. Garlic may be added to your dog’s diet. However, remember not to put to much garlic for this may lead to anemia.
- Ginger is another spice we usually use when we are cooking. When you are traveling with your dog, remember to give him powdered ginger root capsule before you travel. Ginger is effective if your dog is suffering from vomiting because of carsickness. Also, ginger is used to cure stomach problem and indigestion.